Online for The Ascent is a multipayer feature that allows players to host a session or join a random player or their friend's lobby online throgh the game's server. The Online Multiplayer feature plays an integral role in The Ascent since it adds more volume to the game's replayability and content. To access Multiplayer via Online or Couch Co-Op start the game, on the Starting Menu, choose ONLINE or COUCH CO-OP. This page covers various information on the mechanics of multiplayer for The Ascent.
The Ascent Online
What are the other Multiplayer Modes?
In The Ascent, Multiplayer mode is available in two types:
- Online Co-op: Where you invite or join your friends or random players, which connects to a larger network.
- Couch Co-op: Co-op mode where you ask your friends to connect and play with you offline from the same platform you are playing on.
How many players can join a lobby or session?
Online Multiplayer can host up to a maximum of four players in a single session or lobby. You either host a lobby and choose to either invite your friends or have it placed in an "open" session where random players online will search and automatically join in. Or you join your friend's session via an invite or search for a random player's session. The game does not require the host to fill the party in order to start the game, but you can still begin even if you or the host is running a party with two or just three players.
How do I Start Online Co-Op?
You can simply find it on the Starting Menu. Once you start the game, you'll automatically be logged in to the server. Now, on the Starting Menu, you can choose between playing Online or Couch Co-Op.
- When you choose Online, you can host a lobby for a new game or continue via your saved game.
- If you are the host, you can invite players and kick them out of your lobby. You can also switch between any characters you've created.
- You can also set the type to Invite only or Open. Invite only will have players join in via an invitation you sent, while Open is where random players will randomly join your lobby.
- Game chat automatically activates if palyers have their mic on upon joining the host's lobby.
Supported Multiplayer Features
You can find an overview of the supported features for multiplayer below the table.
Is there PVP?
- Unfortunately, there is no PvP. Only PvE, where you either invite other people or your friends to help you progress your saved game or start a new game. Or you hop onto a random player or your friend's session and play through their current progression of the game.
Is there Cross Platform Play?
- Cross-Platform play is supported in The Ascent's multiplayer. Cross-Platform Play between Xbox & PC is supported by The Ascent.
Is there Cross-Gen Play.
- Yes, the multiplayer feature for The Ascent supports Cross Gen Play between Xbox Series X / S & Xbox One.
Is there Cross-Platform & Cross-Gen Save?
- Cross-Platform Save lets players load their saved progress on any platform that is connected to the internet. And this usually requires an online account. Unfortunately, The Ascent does not support this feature.
- Cross Gen Save allows players to share their game progress between both generations of the console. Cross-Gen Save is unsupported by The Ascent.
Does Difficulty Scale in Multiplayer?
- There are no changes that apply nor does difficulty scale when you are in multiplayer since there is no difficulty option as well in the game when you are playing solo. The game session will depend on the either the host choosing a new game to run or continuing their saved progress.